Monday, February 12, 2007

Skypecasts


Skype has been around for a few years, and, honestly, I don't understand why everyone doesn't have it on their computer. It has a couple of main functions. First, of all, it can act as a messenger program. So, you can chat with people all over the world. Similar to MSN Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, and several others. But, the best thing about Skype is you can talk to people anywhere in the world for free. It's like making an international phone call, which normally would cost you anywhere from a few dollars to much more than that, for free. How? Well, both parties need the Skype program on their computers. Other than that, all you need is a headset with a microphone, which start at about $10 US, and you can call people in any country. Like their motto says, "The Whole World Can Talk For Free."

For the past two weeks, our CALL class has been using a new feature of Skype, called Skypecasts. This product is still in Beta mode, but it seems to be working fine. Skypecasts are similar to a conference call, but many more people can participate. It has been a great way for me to connect with my professor Dan, and my other classmates. Before we started using Skypecasts, I don't think there was much communication going on between us. But, I have talked to Dan and my classmates a lot more in the past two weeks. It has allowed us to ask questions and get to know each other better. This is a good thing. The first week that we used Skypecast, we had a problem. It wasn't a private session, so strangers were constantly logging in and listening. Dan, who was the moderator, was constantly kicking people out. It was very distracting. But, this past week, it was a private call and we didn't have any problems that I am aware of. It was also much easier for the moderator, right Dan?
So, if you are looking for a great new alternative to conference calling for a great price (free), look no further. The people at Skype are really doing a good job and I see them being on the cutting edge for a long time. And, like my motto says, "If Darth Vader likes it, then it's gotta be cool!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your motto and the emoticons are very cool! My favorite one is the one with a fancy mask. I should become a Skype jedi soon, too.

Dan said...

Yep. The "hidden" option worked out much better for us. Technically, this doesn't keep anyone out, but the Skypecast doesn't appear on the list of Skypecasts that everyone can see. This, in effect, makes it invisible.

The first one that we did was public and I was dealing with up to 10 or so visitors a minute at one point. It definately distracted me enough that I wouldn't want to do it again in the future. It's like spam in Skype :)

I don't think that this model will work well in the future. I think that they will have to change it so that all newcomers get moved to "listening" first and then can be chosen to "talk". Otherwise, there are countless interuptions.

Also, let's face it, many are just out there to cause trouble. This will be the downfall of the open system unless there is some deterent put into place.

There are new services opening up that help to put people together in Skypecasts or Skype conference calls. One that contacted me recently was http://soziety.com. I'm still not sure about the site, but it seems interesting. I think that these services will be built more and more into social networking sites to enable groups to communicate via voice (and soon video I hope).

Dan